Community development and poverty alleviation
We work with vulnerable communities as they lead their own development, so children and families can thrive.
Communities around the world face complex challenges that threaten children’s wellbeing. Families struggle to survive without life’s basics. Unfair policies, structures, harmful practices and attitudes contribute to poverty and inequality. Our work brings hope and makes a lasting difference in people’s lives.
We partner with communities to address the root causes of poverty. Together, we discuss local strengths, needs and goals and co-design development projects with those who’ll benefit. And we provide support and expertise as community members put their own plans into action.
As communities are transformed, children can grow up in a happier, healthier environment. Families can build resilience, learn how to speak up for their rights and find ways to break the cycle of poverty. And we celebrate as communities become self-sustaining and continue the life-changing work we began together.
You can support this work when you make a donation or sponsor a child. Depending on community needs, our projects can focus on:
- Water – improving sanitation and access to clean water;
- Health – delivering health and nutrition interventions;
- Education – improving the quality of children’s learning;
- Child Protection – keeping children safe from harm; and
- Livelihoods – helping families create economic opportunities and access nutritious food.